Last weekend, I ran the Hampton’s Half Marathon with some friends, CJ, Nicole, Caitlin and Shannon. Here we are pre-race at 7 AM looking oh-so-excited to run 13.1 (actually 13.2 right, Ceej?) miles.
This was a pretty tough since I failed to learn my lesson again from the last half marathon I ran and didn’t do any long training runs for this race. Apparently, the jump between a 6 mile run and 13 is a pretty big one.
All in all, we had a lot of fun running (or something?) but we were soooo happy when it was over!
We spent the rest of the weekend lounging at CJ’s family’s gorgeous summer house, and eating lots of yummy food…but more importantly: cupcakes. Lots of yummy cupcakes. Some of you may say cupcakes aren’t the best post-race meal. To that I would say A. you’re on the wrong blog and B. you’re completely wrong. Basically, you burn about 40,000 calories, give or take a few, running 13 miles. Eating pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting to replenish the calories is smart because:
1. Pumpkin is a vegetable…even if it comes from a can
2. Sugar grows on a plant so by definition, its also a vegetable.
3. Cream cheese and butter = Dairy for strong bones
4. Ginger is a great source of Fiber, Vitamin B6, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin E and Manganese. Cinnamon makes you skinny.
5. This is all totally irrelevant because Sunday was Shannon’s birthday and everyone knows that cupcake calories don’t count on all birthday weekends.
So all in all – the cupcakes were a huge hit. Obviously, Martha has yet to fail me with her cupcaking skills.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
Preheat the oven to 350 and line two 12 cup cupcake tins. In a medium bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice; set aside.
In a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and eggs. add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Add the pumpkin and mix until just combined.
Fill the cupcake liners about half way and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package (8 ounces) of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Combine butter and cream cheese in a bowl and gradually beat in the powdered sugar, then add cinnamon. Pipe on to completely cooled pumpkin cupcakes and sprinkle with cinnamon or large crystal sugar.
And since no post is a GREAT post without a cute puppy picture: Duke who is clearly giving Boo a run for his money.
PS – Thank you BUTTER LANE for making me the Butter Lane blogger of the week! I’m officially going on a salted caramel cupcake diet this weekend.