This picture really doesn’t do these cupcakes justice. They delicious! They cupcakes were the result of a late birthday present from a friend. She gave me a cupcake decorating kit including icing tips and food coloring, which i was dying to try (clearly i went a little overboard when the red dye and ended up with BRIGHT pink frosting, love it.) I made a simple vanilla cape and stuck a strawberry in each cake before I baked them. Then frosted over so the strawberry wasnt visible at all. It’s kind of like they candles that you burn down to get the charms that are hidden inside, except it doesn’t take as long to get to the good part.
It would also be really cute to decorate these cupcakes with strawberry slices instead of white chocolate curls, which I used because I had them laying around.
Recipe Vanilla Cake from Joy of Baking.com
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 white sugar
- Zest of 1 large lemon (outer yellow skin)
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
To make them Strawberry flavored:
- I left out the lemon zest and added 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam instead.
- 12 hulled strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2-3 drops red food coloring (or to desired color)